We see the North Shore Line in action in the latter part of the 1950s. Most of the railroad was double track, but there was never money to double the bridge over The Milwaukee Road at Sixth and Morgan. There are southbound and northbound trolley wires.
That's the Town of Lake water tower in the distance. It still decorates the grounds of a Milwaukee water treatment plant. The North Shore Line initially built pile trestles between Austin Avenue and Harrison Avenue in Milwaukee, later filling them in. That's why much of the embankment along the east side of Sixth Street is still in place. It's just not cost-effective to reclaim the fill for use elsewhere, for example in futilely widening the interstates to make the traffic jams go away.
Past the Town of Lake, the railroad cut through a ridge.
An Electroliner ducks under Norwich Street. There was a local car stop here once.
These Silverliners are passing under Wisconsin Electric's Lakeside Belt Line. On maps of the era, this railroad was still The Milwaukee Electric Railway and Transit Company, and loads of coal were still being received from The Milwaukee Road at Powerton, five blocks to the west. The spur track in the foreground might have been useful for recessing a line car or other work equipment, but it had no obvious industrial purpose.
An Electroliner at Ryan Road, early in 1959, with snow on the ground.
Racine, as viewed from an Electroliner, 28 September 1957.
The same place, in September 1958, with a northbound conventional train arriving.
Kenosha, 29 September 1957. This must have been an outing. The next northbound train will be an Electroliner.
The Electroliners generally met somewhere between North Chicago Junction and Waukegan Edison Court.
Illinois Railway Museum, August 2006.
The North Shore Line quit business at a time when railway preservation efforts were active, and a lot of the rolling stock and more than a little of its tradition survived abandonment. That will be material for a subsequent post.