With commencement season wrapping up, an encouraging story of a recent graduate who found something she enjoyed doing.
A transfer student from Highland Community College in Freeport, Ill., [Heather] Jurs said the decisions to major in geography and to transfer to NIU were clear choices.

“I had always loved geography, but I selected it as my major because I had two great teachers in my high school and community college that opened my eyes to the world around me. I chose NIU because of its great geography and teaching programs,” she says. “The transition from Highland to NIU was really smooth. All of my classes transferred easily, I was able to begin my major and teaching classes as soon as I transferred, and I was able to complete my degree in the same number of years it would have been if I had started as a freshman at NIU.”
There tend to be opportunities, even in difficult times, for determined people.  Our graduate has this concluding comment. “Pick your major based on what you love doing and don’t worry about what others think. I can’t tell you how many times I had to answer the question, ‘What are you going to do with a geography major?’”I propose that practical-minded people invert that question. It usually doesn't come up with business or engineering or programming majors, but perhaps it is those majors who should have to explain what they propose to do with that degree. "Be miserable, if well-paid, for the next 40 years" doesn't cut it.

No comments: