4.12.14

TIME CONSISTENCY.

If, as the song puts it, Santa Claus knows who has been bad or good, sometimes Santa has to get some help.
I really think that we as parents need to take a step back and look at our motivation for giving gifts to our kids. Obviously we enjoy giving to our kids. That is not bad! But, have we gone too far?  I have had so many people say to me, “This is such a good idea, but I don’t think I could do it.” Which was so true with my husband and I! I think we were more disappointed than our kids when we cancelled Christmas. How often are kids threaten that Santa won’t come if kids are naughty…. yet have you ever heard of anyone that really followed through on that threat? That is where the entitlement comes from. We continue to give our children things even when their behavior doesn’t warrant it, simply because we as parents don’t want to live with the consequences.
Yes, it has gone viral, but when this story came up on a radio call-in show earlier today, more than one caller looked for a way to get out from under the positional arms race that Christmas shopping for kids has become.

No comments: