17.8.15

INSTEAD OF GOING BY SCHUSTERS.

Milwaukee's bus authority might have replaced the artistic weekly passes with card-reader-compatible material, but Rachel Quednau of City Space argues, to use a slogan The Transport Company once put on car-cards, that Transit Riding is a Bargain.
I always purchase a monthly pass. It’s just $62 and I get unlimited rides for 30 days–a steal. While on the bus, I crack open a good book and read for a solid 15 minutes. I love starting my day like this.
I wonder if there's still the custom, as the end of the month approaches, of passengers surreptitiously handing the nearly expiring pass out the window to what looks like a casual passenger.


I wonder if the successors to Schusters, now located at the far reaches of the bus network (and in some cases almost in sight of where the interurbans used to run) offer delivery of those larger items.
As you can see, the bus took me everywhere I needed to go on this day, and 95% of the time, that’s always the case. Only when I need to make the (very occasional) trip to a distant store or to transport a large item do I wish I had a car. As I’ve said before, my boyfriend and I chose our apartment chiefly because of its location, and I shared some ways to make this downtown living possible in this post. From my apartment, I can access at least six bus lines at any given time, by walking anywhere from 1 to 5 blocks, so I use the bus to meet up with friends, grocery shop, go to the library, and more. I also use my feet to run tons of errands, walk to the gym, visit bars and restaurants, and get to church. My location is crucial to my ability to use public transit as much as I do.
Ms Quednau is a resident of Milwaukee's Fashionable East Side, and most of her travels feature the Marquette or Wisconsin-Milwaukee or Third Ward.  Perhaps real estate in the Fashionable East Side is more valuable precisely because of the presence of the buses.  That, however, makes urban gentrification (how else describe the old William K. Walthers storefront on Water Street becoming a fern bar?) more interesting, as busses or trolleys or heavy rail figure in the mix.

No comments: