1.3.16

PRIVILEGE CHECKING.

You expect a conservative to enjoy the discomfiture of the culturati being called out, and David French does not disappoint.
Conservatives should never stop noting that the three primary targets of contemporary race protests — big cities, universities, and Hollywood — are staffed top-to-bottom with leftists and have been for decades. And in each of them we can see a common thread — racial justice is cool mainly when there’s something in it for the white liberal activist. The progressive elite gets to have its cake and eat it every day. They live at the top of the cultural food chain, their children inherit their wealth and connections, and they get to feel simply awesome about their politics and world view. Because they hashtag. Because they vote the right way. Because they’re good at condemning other white liberals on command. It’s the greatest activist gig in the world.
It's a different matter when, elsewhere in California last weekend, Donna Smith of the Progressive Democrats of America gets marinated in the smug.
I went to the California Democratic Party's convention in San Jose this weekend, and I decided I would attend the Women's Caucus and try to say a few words on behalf of Bernie Sanders. I had no illusions about the situation, so grabbing a few moments to speak was my goal. But not only was I excluded from doing so, I also watched the women convening the caucus celebrate what it means to be a wealthy and privileged woman during this campaign season. And I was clearly in a class of working class women not invited to this table.

As a woman who strongly supports Bernie Sanders in this race, my position was dismissed. But it was more than that. I was dismissed. I felt at first annoyed, then sad, then more angry than I have felt in a long, long time. And that sort of anger may well be what makes some voters steer clear of political involvement all together if the Democratic powers that be aren't careful. No amount of superficial reassurance will overcome a genuine disdain for the working class that I experienced in what should have been a friendly crowd.
By all means, dear reader, go read and understand the whole thing. South Park has nothing on the real smug of the gentry liberals.
After witnessing the good old girls network in full swing this weekend in support of Bernie's opponent, I was completely sure that I won't matter if the cotillion set stays in charge of my government. Republican or Democratic, arrogance is arrogance. I expect and demand more of my party and my government. This weekend inside the CADEM convention, it felt a little like being in high school when the rich girls giggle and hug one another in restless anticipation of their next dinner party. I've seen Mrs. Trump adorned in her diamond belt standing behind her man, and that overt show of wealth was less offensive to me than what I witnessed as a show of elitism at the CADEM Women's Caucus.

During the same weekend, though, I also watched as more than 1,000 convention goers marched and rallied for Bernie just outside where Vice President Joe Biden was set to speak to those inside the ballroom. Security was very tight. After all, keeping the riff- raff class at a distance from the ruling class is critical if the message is to be controlled. When I saw the Vice President on the Academy Awards television program later in the evening, I'll admit that I saw him in a different light too. Good old girls and good old boys seem pretty much the same to me.

Bernie's vision is a massive change from the country club set's control of our government. Bernie says this government belongs to all of us. But it will only be so if we make it so. We cannot do that if the ruling class only allows our engagement as props in commercials or press ops.
A Tea Party libertarian could not have said it any better.

No comments: