27.12.16

THE FIFTH ANGEL SOUNDED.

I sometimes wonder if the notorious Money Pit of Oak Island, not far from Halifax, isn't a more elaborate version of Al Capone's vault.  The History Channel's extended coverage of ongoing efforts to find what, if anything, is down there, don't do much to disabuse me of that suspicion.  (Hint:  too many breathless allusions to ancient legend, and too many trips to the conference room.)

But the legend of the pit inspired Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child to imagine something similar off the coast of Maine, and in Riptide, tonight's Book Review No. 30, they spin a yarn in which a sufficiently funded expedition gets to the treasure.  Then all washes away.  Sorry, you'll have to read the book to find out more.  I bet the opening of the real Money Pit won't be anywhere near as exciting.  I finished the reading of an evening.  I'm rather proud of myself for solving two of the puzzles before the principals twigged to it, but those puzzles disappoint.  Again, I won't give much away, apart from there being a reason "Wheel of Fortune" give the solver R S T L N E to get started, and that exponential decay is real.  It's the festive season.  Kick back, enjoy.

(Cross-posted to 50 Book Challenge.)

No comments: