Last year, even before the surprise presidential election results, we noted that Hardball's Chris Matthews
had some doubts about the Democratic coalition of academics, celebrities, and assorted peoples who perceived themselves to be marginalized. "Biden talked today about what he calls the pedigree problem, how the Democratic Party at the top views anyone not an Ivy Leaguer as below intellectual consideration. How the party has kind of forgotten about ordinary Americans out there, how those people are smarter than they`re given credit for." I'll leave for another day the way the snobs have treated the assorted marginalized populations as mascots. Today,
we note Mr Matthews again suggesting the Donks not forget an important part of the New Deal coalition. "I am not sure if he realizes that his intra-party battle has been lost, and the home of the working class is now the GOP." I'm not sure of that, and there are likely more electoral surprises to come. (From my perspective, there's not much in either of the major parties at the national level to appeal to me.)
But Mr Matthews has what would make an excellent "
Let Me Finish" in his chewing out of the quiche-eaters.
“You know, ever since we started this Archie Bunker thing in the early ’70s, making fun of white working people, we kissed them goodbye,” he said. “You make fun of people, you look down on them? They get the message. You call them deplorables? They hear it. You bet they hear it. You say they cling to their guns and their religion? Oh yeah, I cling to my religion. OK. I’m a little person, and you’re a big person. Thank you, I’ll be voting for the other guy this time.”
Even at the age of fifteen or sixteen, or whatever I was when "All in the Family" came out, I was put off by Meathead's condescending and hectoring of Archie. Maybe condescending and hectoring is all Our Progressive Betters ever had.
The
full talk is available on C-Span. (I wonder how people ever get anything done, if they're spending all their time watching public affairs programming in real time, or streaming it later.)
No comments:
Post a Comment