16.11.20

IF THEY DIDN'T MODEL IT, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

I'm not a fan of those ever-changing epidemiology models that continue to forecast death and despair, even as their worst-case forecasts never materialize.  The models are too limited to get any sort of handle on despair or depression or drug overuse or hunger.  The despair and depression and drug overuse and hunger are all too real.
North Texas Food Bank (NTFB) distributed more than 600,000 pounds of food for about 25,000 people on Saturday, according to spokeswoman Anna Kurian. There were 7,280 turkeys distributed to families, Kurian told CNN.

Photos provided by NTFB show thousands of cars lined up for NTFB's Drive-Thru Mobile Pantry at Fair Park. Kurian said the need for food "has certainly increased" with the pandemic, with Texas last week becoming the first US state to report 1 million cases of coronavirus.

"Forty percent of the folks coming through our partners doors are doing so for the first time," she said.

"I see blessings coming to us cause we all struggling. And I appreciate North Texas helping us out," Dallas resident Samantha Woods told CNN affiliate KTVT as she waited in her vehicle.

"It really is amazing and I thank God that I was able to get in the line this morning."
If you have the means, consider contributing generously to your local food banks this Festive Season.

It is probably asking too much of the news organizations that they devote even a quarter of the coverage they devote to infections and deaths with coronavirus to the lines at the food banks, or to the deaths of despair.

No comments: