I doubt that anybody is going to make an issue about that semi in the left lane. It's just another Wednesday going around the southern tip of Lake Michigan. In the forty years or so that I've been driving that route, there has ALWAYS been some sort of construction going on somewhere between where Interstate Eighty ties into the Tri-State Tollway and where the Kingery Expressway, or Borman Expressway, or whatever Indiana now calls that stretch of road, hives off Interstate 65 for Indianapolis, then the Indiana Toll Road with Eighty and Ninety for points east, and finally 94 for Detroit. Doesn't matter what the construction is: adding a lane, replacing a bridge, blinging out an interchange, there's always some construction going on.
Sometimes the notion of remont comes to mind. That was a Soviet trick by which an eatery offering better than the usual government-issue food in more pleasant surrounding at proletarian prices was perpetually closed for repairs, or by which a seaside hotel was never taking reservations. You pretend that the service is there, only it has to be brought up to the standard Brezhnev approves of, but everybody understands it's more pokazhuka. I'm not going to go so far as accusing the highway commissions of perpetually fixing parts of the interstates as a way of admitting they'll always be a mess, and yet I'm not convinced that the "infrastructure" is ever going to be better.


No comments:
Post a Comment