A DIFFERING PERSPECTIVE. Just before spring break, I
linked to
Owen at Boots and Sabers objecting to the University of Wisconsin Health Service recommending that female spring breakers include the morning-after pill in their hook-up kit.
Jessica at Feministing has a different perspective.
I love the idea that there wouldn't be wanton spring break sex if campus health centers didn't provide birth control. I can see it now: Girls Gone Wild...because they had birth control! "I was going to just catch up on my studies, but now that I have emergency contraception I feel the sudden urge to enter a wet t-shirt contest..."
Well, yes, the
rabbit culture is a bit more deeply rooted than that. But this perspective fails to address a more serious problem that I noted in my original link.
If the condom fails and the kids don't have the morning-after pill, they still have three months to deal with one "unwanted effect" in the feminist way. The chlamydia or the herpes will be another matter.
And that other matter is no laughing matter. Herewith some evidence, also from the
Sun-Times Sex on Campus series.
At least one in four Americans will get a sexually transmitted disease, according to the American Social Health Association. For many, that will happen during the sexually adventurous college years.
Just
go read the whole article. Sobering stuff. Almost enough to make me want to invoke the Welfare Economics Paradigm and make a case for "mating licenses" that ought to be at least as hard to get as deer-hunting licenses.
No comments:
Post a Comment