21.5.24

DURABILITY.

Oakland Raider center Jim Otto recently departed this life.
“I watched him bleed,” Raiders linebacker Phil Villapiano said in a 2022 interview. “I mean, every f—ing game. Whatever helmet he had on certainly didn’t work, because it would come down and smash on top of his nose. He’d be bleeding every single game. And players on the other team would be like, ‘What the f— is with this guy?!’”
Years ago, he appeared in one of the major networks' investigation of chronic injuries among professional football players.  Recall, he had to block the likes of Ray Nitschke and Henry Jordan, at least on one occasion.  He was a few years out of sports, living in retirement near Crivitz, Wisconsin, and at the time getting around was a challenge thanks to all sorts of chronic injuries.  It only became more of a challenge.  "Otto had more than 70 surgeries and had his right leg amputated in 2007."  Afterwards, he went to the Arctic Circle: remember, dear reader, that Crivitz is north of the 45th Parallel, and he continued to hunt, which is what people Up Nort' do. R. I. P.

No comments: