14.4.20

WE CAN'T JUST FLIP A SWITCH.

If I had the time and a little more ability, I'd have one of those media montages from the Sunday shows and local news of everybody saying "flip a switch."  It's the latest Voice of Reason talking point: you don't just let everybody out of confinement without a pretty good idea who has been sick, who currently is sick, and who might still be at some hazard of getting sick.

It's probably too much, at this juncture, for me to ask for the same sort of humility from policy wonk types when they consider some other opportunity to Make Things Better by a stroke of a pen.  (I'm not going to give up asking, though: if Making Things Better were that easy, we'd see a lot of that going on without Policy Action.)

On the other hand, if, at the beginning of this year you had told me that by Easter we'd be seeing Democratic governors in coastal states and professors at Establishment colleges of law appealing to the Tenth Amendment and pushing back on Presidential Authority, I might have been pleased, and at the same time, fretful about what events brought that devolution about.

No comments: