At some point in May [Morgan Bullock] started posting videos of herself dancing in traditional Irish style to non-Irish music by artists like Beyonce and Michael Jackson. Those videos got a big response from people around the world, some were viewed over a million times. Most of the reactions were positive but because Bullock is black a subset of scolds also began saying what she was doing was cultural appropriation of Irish dancing.There's a cheerful ending to this story: she got a touring gig with Riverdance, and the Embassy of Ireland noted, "No, this is cultural appreciation. One of the great qualities of our culture is its dynamism. We’re blessed to have artists as brilliantly talented as Morgan engaging with, & enriching, traditional Irish art forms."
Well, good. Little by little, the woke scolds will be pushed back. I hereby use whatever authority I have as the Burgomeister of Gloucester to allow anyone who wishes to attempt a Schuhplattler to give it a go.

2 comments:
Proud 5G descendant of De One Troo Muster Race. I say, appropriate away, and Go Wit God, dere.
Yooper, or Up Nort' in 'Scansin?
Post a Comment