At the beginning of the year I posted a generalized gripe about eleemosynary institutions carrying on like spoiled children whose Christmas haul wasn't as big as they would like. "I'm considering reviewing my donation habits, in particular to reduce funding or end it completely, for any cause, no matter how meritorious, that engages in this form of official-looking begging."
Here's a specific example of the "emulate the utility bill" approach. "Our records show Habitat for Humanity has not yet received a contribution from you in 2020." No, and sending a quasi-invoice complete with a menu of "suggested gifts" to choose among, isn't going to expedite anything their way. Never mind that for $20 or better they have a stuffed toy as a thanks.
What's up, by the way, with the inducements? I have enough address labels that if I did run a mail order business, I'd never have to have any printed up. I have enough scratch pads that I'll never have to go to the office supply store to keep the household in grocery lists or project lists for the railroads. Getting subjunctive, if I had a nickel for every solicitation that includes one, and a time machine, I could do a lot of streetcar riding.
Presumably the people who run the charities are of the view that more people are induced to contribute rather than, as I am, are put off by the evidence of administrative excess all those labels, cards, note pads, nickels, and stickers represent.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment