Your
fall coffee,
Scoutcraft, and now
space exploration.
Current approaches to outer space are “heavily Western, state-centric, militarized, masculinized, and colonial,” and encourage practices that are “racist, exploitative, elitist, and environmentally destructive.”
That’s according to an intersectional feminist report on outer space bankrolled by the Department of National Defence to the tune of $32,250 in taxpayer cash.
“We have lots of problems down here on Earth and maybe we should focus on getting those fixed before we spend tens of thousands of dollars talking about how to talk about space,” said Kris Sims, Alberta Director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation. “I think a lot of Canadians can think of a lot of causes that need $32,250 more.”
I stopped excerpting it because it got loopier from there. Tom "Tilting at Windmills" Knighton asks, "
Why does anyone take these people seriously?"
I’m going to tell these twerps something they’re not going to like: Colonization isn’t an inherently bad thing.
You can talk about all the sins of colocalization here on Earth, but any and all of those are the result of people walking into a country where other people were and deciding to take over. I’d even argue that ultimately, that led to positive outcomes for millions of people, but I can at least get the argument that such a thing is troubling.
Space, however, doesn’t seem to have a lot of that.
Take Mars or the Moon, for example. Right now, we know there’s no intelligent life on either. We can set up shop and not displace literally anyone or anything. There’s no indigenous population to oppress or exploit.
And yet, that’s still colonization.
Of course, these are people who see words like “explore” as problematic. I can get “conquer” being a little different because that’s an arguably aggressive term in some cases, though I still think it’s applicable and some people need to get bent, but explore?
I wonder if the Ark sailed with only Noah's family aboard because everybody else was splitting intersectional hairs about whether the rain was evidence of climate change or not.
We need to reach for the stars. Why? Because it’s what’s next. We’ve explored pretty much all of the Earth’s surface and are working on the oceans, but space is next. Going there is where we’ll need to go so the next giant rock that smashes into us doesn’t turn us into just another layer in the fossil record.
And these people trying once again to police language aren’t helping. They’re doing everything they can to make sure we’re wiped out, all because we didn’t use the correct language so as to not offend their delicate sensibilities.
Well, I’ve got some harsh language for you vacuous waste of human tissue, you living examples of why abortion might not be as evil as some believe. I’m more than happy to wreck this planet then leave you on it as we head off to the stars.
We’ll set the course of the future while you bitch and gripe about how none of the actual pronouns in the English language adequately describe you.
That "wreck this planet" is risky, for now it provides launch pads to establish that inner Lagrange launch pad, or whatever the interplanetary explorers would think of. Perhaps the existence of feminist pedagogy is the cleanest evidence that we are way richer than our ancestors.
No comments:
Post a Comment