4.4.08

DECEPTIVELY GREAT PROGRESS.

Click each image for a larger view.

Here are the motion brackets, with crosshead ledges in place.



There's more to this than meets the eye. I learned a few tricks about using resistance soldering in such a way as to not unsolder one component in the act of soldering another. The piston rods slide relatively smoothly in the crosshead guides. The cylinders require a bit more application of dry-slide, or perhaps a session with polishing compound to open things further.

The brackets have now been fitted to the main frame. Each attachment is sprung. If hobbyists are wondering where all the 0-80 machine screws in greater DeKalb have gone, look no further.


Here is the fireman's side, cropped in builder's photo fashion.


Next, the valve gear. I have discovered from previous kits that "looks about right" isn't good enough. One really must lay the components out such that the combination lever is vertical at mid-stroke (rods up or down) and the link is vertical at the dead centers. Otherwise there will be rough running, if you're only slightly unlucky, or outright binding. To get it right, a modeler might have to cut his own radius and eccentric rods and union link. The union link allows some latitude in using off-the-shelf combination levers, such as the Lobaugh components Locomotive Workshop once supplied.

No comments: