17.1.10

COMPARE AND CONTRAST. It's likely that I will watch the latest day of 24, although after recently observing Sherlock Holmes take down a somewhat more plausible cabal than the one Jack Bauer's late brother and father were involved in, I'm compiling a list of reasons Sherlock Holmes would be a better counter-terrorism agent than Jack Bauer. The action is taking place in New York. It's likely that Holmes, a regular user of the Metropolitan, would know the best subway routing from his quarters to the counter-terrorism unit's new headquarters, as well as the best disguises to get his witness there intact. I'm guessing that New York's traffic is going to figure in one of the subsequent plot complications, particularly if the action moves off Manhattan. It's a lot easier to master the Metro-North and Amtrak schedules than it is the whole of Bradshaw's, and the next train to Chappaqua or to Princeton Junction will be faster than those suburban assault vehicles your tax dollars pay for. You've got to like a pugilist who visualizes the effects of a combination before delivering it (one reviewer of the movie evidently missed numerous references to Mr Holmes's boxing talents in Conan Doyle's Canon) and the improviser who is able to jam up a doomsday machine or a meat saw with a pipe stem, and without a stressed call to tech support. And Mr Holmes got Inspector Lestrade into the plotters' inner circle. There's always a mole in the government agency (I have some suspects already) that Mr Bauer has to help identify.

Feel free to add to the list, in the Suggestion Box.

1 comment:

Squints said...

>>I'm guessing that New York's traffic is going to figure in one of the subsequent plot complications, particularly if the action moves off Manhattan.<<

"Nobody's EVER beaten the Van Wyck."