Let me propose an answer to this question.
Why is it the very best colleges, places like Yale, Princeton, Harvard, Smith, and Bryn Mawr, that are especially subject to self-flagellation and accusations of system [c.q.] racism? I don’t believe it’s because those places are more racist that other colleges; in fact, I don’t believe they were “systemally racist” (i.e., had in place a structure that perpetuated bigotry against racial minorities) at all.The simplest explanation: it's a humble brag. Everybody knows that an Ivy credential carries a lot of weight with it. Thus, the person acquiring it ought to have some way of feeling bad about being in a position to get it. Again, there's nothing new: I recall reading through one of my mom's social work books, published long ago, and coming across a passage where the chaplain at some finishing school was making it clear to the students that there were probably people way more worthy in the general population. Widespread recognition of that, though, would not turn out to the advantage of the finishing schools.

No comments:
Post a Comment