19.1.21

SOMETIMES THE ONLY INTELLECTUAL ARGUMENT IS "POUND SAND."

New Discourses' James Lindsay has advice for people who run into a deplorable-shaming attack.
I try to explain that there are exactly four options available to people in dealing with the Woke. These are: (1) go Woke yourself (bad call), (2) try to play ball (weak, losing game), (3) steel your spine and ignore them, and (4) resist and go hard. I then spend a few minutes elaborating upon each of these four options and why I think the first two are losing options while the later two are the only possibilities, uncomfortable and potentially costly as they will be for people to undertake.
I'm in a pretty good position here, having accumulated enough F.U. money to be able to ignore the foolishness, and it helped when I was still in higher education to have the personality of a roundhouse foreman with four trains called and three engines still requiring maintenance.

Younger readers who have not yet accumulated that money or developed that sort of personality might benefit by subscribing to that explainer, or watching similar advice from embattled Smith College deanlet Jodi Shaw.


That pep talk appears to be based on an essay by Lee Jussim in Psychology Today that invokes Count Odo and the Siege of Paris, which is the kind of roundhouse foreman mentality we had before there were roundhouses.  "Make coming after you hard and uncomfortable for them."  A well-timed "pound sand" might be all it takes.

No comments: