19.4.16

HOW FAR BEYOND PARODY ARE WE?

Spring semester at many colleges and universities is for identity politics months.  At Northern Illinois University, Gaypril has mutated into LGBTQIA Awareness Month.  (Some of those letters might stand for more than one form of transgressiveness.)

Here's a description of an upcoming event.
Masculinity has long permeated queer spaces, but as of late, it has grown to be a toxic ideal. Together we will examine and deconstruct the systems of power that have made masculinity so toxic today.
I have other plans for the evening, thus I'm unlikely to go enlighten myself, or discover whether it's just more trashing of frat-boy culture, or the ways in which ghetto thugs with pit-bulls get a free pass.

But in today's Oppression Olympics, being the G in BLTGQUINOA means having to walk on eggshells around the T and the Q and perhaps the B.
Even though white cis gay men are marginalized in society due to being gay, they still have male privilege, white privilege, and cis privilege.

This doesn’t mean that white cis men are born evil or that they don’t work hard to succeed. Societal privilege just means that people born with certain traits are given more access to opportunities to work hard and then succeed.

White cisgender gay men have access to leadership positions, higher pay than women and people of color, more media representation than any other group of LGBTQIA+ people, and the kind of implicit trust from strangers that societal privilege can afford.

If you’re a white, cisgender gay man, you have a vast amount of access, visibility, and power, even though you are a queer person in a homophobic society.
Wow. I suspect, though, that deconstructing what remains of the "implicit trust" (put differently, replacing whatever evolutionary advantage existing institutions confer with mistrust and virtue-signalling) is not going to make for a better place.  Meanwhile, the sexual underground eats its own.
The other day I was having coffee with a friend.

“I love trans people, but I do not feel like I need to identify as cisgender,” my friend stated. She went on to say, “I am not transgender, I was born a woman and identify as a woman. Why should I say I am “cis” and how do I have ‘cisgender’ privilege? I’m just normal. How is being normal a privilege?”

What she didn’t realize was that saying she was normal – while speaking to me, a transgender man, as unintentionally “abnormal” – is exactly where cis privilege starts.
I don't make this stuff up, I just quote it.  But then I understand words well enough to recognize that "normal" can be descriptive without being prescriptive.

No comments: